To inspire and enhance members’ lives through stimulating interaction with ideas and friends in an adult learning center and to connect them with opportunities to serve the community.
To be a vibrant adult lifelong learning community that energizes mind, body and spirit through diverse and stimulating courses, social activities, service opportunities, and intergenerational involvement.
1. Integrity: We act to carry out our mission and vision with respect, accountability, responsibility and transparency in all our interactions.
2. Collaboration: Working together as a diverse and inclusive membership to plan and participate in programs and activities, we stay active, pursue growth, find purpose, and build trust and friendship.
3. Community: Committed to learning and building relationships we find our lives enriched and affirmed by the sense of belonging that drives physical and mental wellbeing, joy and healthy aging.
4. Excellence: We provide high quality programming in keeping with our mission and vision, actively seeking feedback in order to improve.
5. Stewardship: We are responsible for the planning and management of our social, financial, and physical resources.
Built in 1896, what we now call Hamilton House was formerly a family home. In 1972 Hamilton House, as we know it, was founded by the Reverend Gibson, PhD as a mission of the Central Congregational Church, which adjoins our property at 296 Angell Street, Providence, Rhode Island. In 2022 we celebrated our 50th Anniversary as a nonprofit serving individuals 55 years and older. An insight from our founder probably best expresses our intent as a nonprofit organization: “Hamilton House . . . is finally, I believe, a rare combination of place, people, and program held together by a spirit that helps us all toward human fulfillment.” Our organization continues to be one of the select few Rhode Island centers for older individuals that intentionally combines expanded learning, social events, school intergenerational programs, and the formation of friendships into one integrated portfolio of possibilities.
The House is listed on the national register, and was designed by the Architects Carrie and Hastings who also designed the New York Public Library, the House and Senate Office Buildings on Capitol Hill, and Central Congregational Church. It is well loved by our membership community.
Program and Events Manager
Facilities and Maintenance
Ann Diver Diehl
No current chair
Sylvia Danforth, Chair
Carl Romanovich, Chair
Sue Pandit, Chair
Sylvia Danforth, Chair
Jerry DeSchepper, Chair
Elissa Arffa, John Stevenson, Co-Chairs
Collin Mills, Chair
Social Events Committee
John Lord, Chair (outgoing)
Gail Romanovich, Chair
276 Angell Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, United States
Copyright © 2023 Hamilton House - All Rights Reserved.
Website photography provided by Roberta Kaufman, Ann Diver Diehl & Chloe Clasper-Torch
Powered by GoDaddy